the function of a lighthouse is shining and showing ships the way, also to provide orientation for navigation. It has to shine! If it does not do that it is useless! More than that, it is not only useless, it is even dangerous! Mostly a lighthouse is positioned on a rather low level. Thus, if it doesn’t’ t shine this spot and the lighthouse itself are a danger for shipping.
As Christians we are often told to shine. What are we supposed to radiate? The answer: What Jesus, the founder of Christendom demonstrated us, the way he lived, what he did. If we do not radiate this light, if we remain on a spiritual very low level we are even dangerous.
What did the founder of Christendom radiate? Just a short and incomplete listing:
– Goodwill towards your neighbour instead of working against him.
– Being tolerant instead of being against things you do not like.
– Readiness to forgive instead of looking at old deficiencies again and again.
– Giving human attention to your next one instead of concentrating on your own advantages only.
– Empathy instead of regardlessness.
What kind of lighthouse are you? Without light? Or lights on?